social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

{Review} Salting Roses by Lorelle Marinello

Review

Salting Roses by Lorelle Marinello
Published Date: Nov 30, 2010
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads
My rating:
Three Stars
Synopsis: A young woman abandoned as an infant on an Alabama porch is horrified to discover that she is the missing heiress to a vast Connecticut fortune--a birthright she is desperate to reject in favor of her Peachtree Lane roots.

Gracie Lynne Calloway--once left in a coal bucket on a front porch in a small Alabama town--discovers on her twenty-fifth birthday that she is the kidnapped daughter of a late New England financier and heiress to a fortune. When the tabloid press and her unwanted greedy relatives descend on her, she has to admit the quiet secure life she's known and loved is gone for good. As Gracie struggles to stabilize her world and come to terms with her new identity, she learns that belonging is not about where you came from but who you are.
(SOURCE)

I received this in a Goodreads Giveaway a couple of weeks ago. When I first read the synopsis (which made me enter to win) I was happy to see a "Southern" fiction as a giveaway. I started reading it after finishing up something else and for the most part I enjoyed it.

My only "complaint" if it can be called that, is that being from the South, I kind of felt unsure about the dialogue (the phrasing, the 'southern speak') when this is a modern day book. Sometimes it seemed too forced and over the top, but it wasn't anything that kept me from enjoying Salting Roses.

This is a cute book with fun characters and a peek into a young womans life when she finds out everything isn't what it seems. Gracie's family is a little hodge podge of people she's always assumed were biological family. Her story shows that you don't necessarily have to share blood to be a family. If you're from the south, you'll definitely recognize some of these characters as someone you know; a neighbor, an aunt, a friend.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in reading something light and different.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger