social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

{Book Review} Slave (Finding Anna #1) by Sherri Hayes


Slave (Finding Anna #1) by Sherri Hayes
Publication Date: July 28, 2011
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads

Two and a Half Stars

Stephan has lived the lifestyle of a Dominant for five years. After several rebellious teenage years, it gave him the stability and control he had been seeking after his parent’s death.
As president of a not-for-profit foundation, he knows what his future holds and what he wants out of life. All that changes when a simple lunch with his college friend and Mentor, Darren, leads him to buying a slave.
Thrust into a situation he never thought he’d be in, Stephan can’t walk away. He is compelled to help this girl in the only way he knows how.
Brianna knows only one thing, she is a slave. She has nothing. She is nothing.
Can Stephan help Brianna realize that she is much more than just a Slave? (SOURCE)


Review

While this is not my first BDSM novel, it is only the second book I've read with a Master/slave aspect. I'm very--- uncertain about M/s on a personal level, but I like to keep an open mind and see what a story brings. I read Slave because it was recommended by someone on twitter. I'm always looking for more novels in this realm so I tackled it with anticipation.

First, I thoroughly enjoyed Sherri Hayes' writing style. She is clear and concise and the emotions through the book were palpable. I felt an easy connection between the characters. Stephan's pain leapt out at me, as did Brianna's.

Overall, I struggled reading the bulk of Slave. I hit a point when I felt like it was monotonous because the story takes place mostly in Stephan's apartment. Brianna is frightening, understandably, to go out in public after what she lived through. For me though, it got to be boring that there wasn't much going on outside of that. I hated that I wasn't more in love with it but I kept reading, hoping things would pick up. Seeing as this is the first in a series, I can see that the bulk of Slave was the setup for a lot to come in the future for these characters. Establishing a connection between them and the reader.

Brianna was intriguing and she is the character that kept me reading when I felt like I may've been losing interest in the story. I became angry that someone had treated her the way they did. That's a good thing though, because if I can't care about a character, what is even the point in reading their story?

Stephan made me feel for him on a different level. He so much wanted to save Brianna from the very beginning. Though I'm not sure he went about it the correct way, he did what he thought was best. I gave him major points for what a great person he was. As a Dom and as a man. In the end it was hard for me to believe he was in love with Brianna though. I felt that he barely knew her, both because she hadn't not been with him for long and she hadn't really opened up to him much until the end of the book. Even then, there was still so little he knew about her.

There was a lot of unanswered questions I'm sure will be covered as the series goes on. I feel like that will be interesting. While I didn't love Slave, I'll probably read the second book to see what happens to these two.


These are my personal observations and thoughts regarding this book. Any and all books blogged about here are paid for with my personal money unless otherwise specified within the review. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger