social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

{Review} Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

Review

Poughkeepsie (Poughkeepsie #1) by Debra Anastasia
Published Date: Nov 22, 2011
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
My Rating:
Four Stars


Synopsis:  He counts her smiles every day and night at the train station. And morning and evening, the beautiful commuter acknowledges him—just like she does everyone else on the platform. But Blake Hartt is not like the others . . . he’s homeless. Memories of a broken childhood have robbed him of peace and twisted delusions into his soul. He stays secluded from the sun, sure the world would run from him in the harsh light of day.

Each day, Livia McHugh smiles politely and acknowledges her fellow commuters as she waits for the train to the city. She dismisses this kindness as nothing special, just like her. She’s the same as a million other girls—certainly no one to be cherished. But special or not, she smiles every day, never imagining that someone would rely on the simple gesture as if it were air to breathe.  (SOURCE)

Poughkeepsie was such a delightful read. It tugged at my heart strings, made me root for the 'under dog' and also, opened my eyes to a totally different world. Blake made me want to be a better person. To look people in the eye and take their feelings into consideration. His circumstances are so sad but he doesn't let that bring him down. He's such a strong character. But on the flip side, I wanted to hug him and take him home with me. After a tragic childhood Blake hides from sunlight until Livia walks into his life. He's watched her, counted how many times she's smiled at him, and he's waited.

A chance encounter, where she defends him against a pack of teenage boys changes both their lives. She is brought into a world unlike anything she has known. Blake's family is different than what we see as "normal" but it made me sit up and take a look at myself.

Blake and Livia's story is beautiful and heartfelt. It made me laugh, cry and fall in love. It was one of those books I was sad to see come to an end. It has lingered with me, and I have wondered what they are up to now.

I can't recommend Poughkeepsie enough. It is sweet and lovely.


These are my only personal observations and thoughts regarding this book. Any and all books blogged about here are paid for with my personal money unless otherwise specified within the review. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger