social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

{Review} Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Review

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Published Date: Sept 29, 2011
Publisher: Dutton Books
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads

My Rating:
Four and a half Stars


 

Synopsis: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. (SOURCE)

My Rambles: I can't even deny that I want to be Lola when I grow up. She has fun clothes, colorful wigs and a quirky, artistic personality. There was a perfect mixture of sarcasm and sweetness to her. It was hard for me to see her as a teenage girl. She is definitely not average.

Lola's parents are fantastic but they were not fans of Lola's older boyfriend, Max. I really liked him too though. At least at the start, that is. He seemed sweet and attentive to her, even having family dinner every Sunday, which he did not feel comfortable doing.

Then the two people Lola never wanted to see again moved back into the neighborhood. The last thing she wanted was to see childhood crush Cricket through the bedroom window next door. But he was back, and more perfect than ever.

Cricket is adorable and smart. (And parental approved!)

I am such a sucker for the unrequited love story. Or when two people are torn apart by means they can't control. Then they find their way back together some how. I always want things to fall back into place so perfectly. But I guess if that happened, there would be no point in the story or book.

When Lola starts hanging out with Cricket it causes tension with Max. It was so funny to me that he would be jealous of a teenage boy. I guess he could see that Lola's feelings for Cricket still lingered though. He started to get jerky, which made me sad since I'd like him before.

Luckily, Cricket kept right on being he's sweet self and his relationship with Lola continued to solidify.  I might have cheered many times for the two of them.

I'm pretty sure Ms. Perkins wrote Cricket for every girl that has ever loved a boy friend. He is adorable and I wanted to hug him. Or turn him into a real boy. Especially when all the stars aligned and Lola was free to love him. And vice versa.

Oh! Is this spoilery? I hope not, because I have to say, the appearances of Anna and St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss were icing on the awesome cake!

Such a happy heart, I have.









These are only my personal observations and thoughts regarding this book. Any and all books blogged about here are paid for with my personal money unless otherwise specified within the review. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.


1 comment:

  1. You are a true master of the quill! This reading was the so absorbing! Write more and thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger