social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

{Review} Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Review

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Publication Date: Sept 27, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads

My Rating:
Four Stars



Summary: Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself? (SOURCE)

I've been wanting to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone for entirely too long. I couldn't decide what to read next and asked twitter. Several people told me I "had" to read it when I mentioned I hadn't. So here I am!

One of the things I loved right away was the world Laini Taylor created. Modern, but different. Secret passage ways leading to other countries, and worlds. A girl with 'natural' blue hair that spent her days in art school and her nights doing the bidding of the creature that raised her.

I found Karou to be a fascinating girl. Every time I'd learn something new about her it made me want more and more. When Akiva makes his first appearance he's mysterious and my curiosity amped up a bit more. Obviously there's a connection between the two of them -- but what is it?

Further into the book there is a jump back into another time. I enjoyed getting a peek into Akiva's past. What made him the way he is. A stony faced, hard nosed boy that keeps popping up everywhere Karou is. There's so much about that time that made him the person he is now. The way his story interweaves with Karou's life and those that raised her is intriguing. I still want to learn more about the 'man' that 'fathered' her. I never disliked him one bit, but at the end of the book I found myself wanting to hug him for doing the things he did.

It's so hard to write a review of DoS&B without giving away too much. This is one of those books that has bits and pieces of info scattered throughout. It keeps you reading and gets you hooked. I'm thrilled it's a series because I can't wait to follow these characters more. Their journeys are going to be amazing.


These are my personal observations and thoughts regarding this book. Any and all books blogged about here are paid for with my personal money unless otherwise specified within the review. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger