social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

{Review} Lover Reborn by J. R. Ward

Review
Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood #10) by J.R. Ward

Publication Date: Mar 27, 2012 
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads 
My Rating:
Three and a Half Stars


 
Synopsis: Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld—he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from. (SOURCE)

I'm a huge fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I have been reading these books since just before the release of book 3 (my favorite) so I look forward to every new release. As the books go deeper into the world Ward has created things get more detailed and more and more secondary characters pop up. Sometimes that distracts from what I really want to read about (which is the couple that the book is suppose to be about). I'm slightly use to that with these books though and I believe that it helps with future growth of the series.

That said, sometimes it can be overwhelming, so I'm torn on whether or not I want less details or not. I'd have liked to have "seen" more of Tohr and No'One getting to know one another. There was a lot of skipping time, which I understand because the progression of Tohr's getting back to some semblance of his old self was needed. But I felt like I missed out on a lot too because there was so much other stuff going on in the book.

I enjoyed the character of No'One. I could see her growing as a person, finally coming out of the shell she'd put herself in so long ago. Tohr had a lot to do with that of course, but there were a few moments when I really just wanted to punch him really hard. His desire to keep himself cut off from emotions by hurting No'One was uncalled for, in my opinion. She'd done nothing but try to help him and atone for the past wrongs she felt she'd dealt him. Grrr.

I liked that Xhex and No'One slowly became bonded. I'd really hoped that would happen for them eventually. They both needed that connection so badly, for different reasons obviously, but it was still important. I don't know how I felt about the conflicts that Xhex and John Michael were going through though. It was understandable how they both felt and I completely sympathized. Though I really wanted to see things go smoothly for them after they'd been mated.

One thing I missed was Qhuinn and Blay. I'm a huge shipper of them and one of the things I look forward to most in the books is more interaction between the two of them. I take every little scrap I can get but there wasn't really much in Lover Reborn, especially considering the amount of content that wasn't based on Tohr and No'One that was in the book. I'd have rather had more Qhuay and Tohr/No'One than the other extras.

As if the Lessers aren't enough of a problem for the BDB, we now have the Band of Bastards too. I almost feel like they could be their own series, instead of throwing them into the Black Dagger books.

While this wasn't one of my favorites of the series I did enjoy it. I just felt that some parts were too long and some parts not long enough. I was left with an overwhelming desire to say "Please ma'am, may I have some more?" With the announcement of whose book will be next, I'm looking forward to book 11.


These are only my personal observations and thoughts regarding this book. Any and all books blogged about here are paid for with my personal money unless otherwise specified within the review. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger