social media Twitter Goodreads RSS amazon email
.
.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

{Review} The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Review

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
Published Date: Dec 1, 2010
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Author Twitter - Author GoodReads
My Rating:
Five Stars

Synopsis:
History has all but forgotten...

In the spring of 1708, an invading Jacobite fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.


Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors and starts to write.


But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory, making her the only living person who knows the truth-the ultimate betrayal-that happened all those years ago, and that knowledge comes very close to destroying her...
(SOURCE)

I happened upon this book and downloaded the free sample. It was the first three chapters of the book and I was immediately hooked. I bought the rest of The Winter Sea right away and I jumped into it immediately.

It is beautifully written, telling the story of an author, Carrie McClelland who has traveled the world while writing her best sellers. After having not found what she's looking for in France, where she had been researching the Jacobite in 1708, she is led to Scotland.

There, her story begins to unravel, dreams begin to be come reality and her life isn't what it seems. Once Carrie is in Scotland she begins meeting a cast of characters that ultimately help her put all the pieces of her book together.

One of my favorite parts about this book is that Susanna Kearsley gives not only the details of Carrie's life as the author but also, you get to read the book she's working on. It's sort of like two books in one. Sophia, the heroine of Carrie's novel is a fantastic character that you can't help but love and root for. She becomes intertwined with a mission to bring King James back to the thrown. There is intrigue, betrayal, scandal, and a love story.

Impressively, even with the weaving of two different stories, and time periods, weaving through the book, it's easy to follow and envision.

It had been a long time since I'd read anything that wasn't Young Adult or supernatural/paranormal (vampires). I'm so glad The Winter Sea caught my eye and I read the sample, otherwise I don't know if I'd have ever read it. I'm not usually into historical fiction but this caught my attention and kept me enraptured through out. Although it does have a bit of a paranormal element, it's not like the usual paranormal I read. It was refreshing and different; the writing flowing and beautiful. A delightful read that stayed stuck in my head for days, a week, after I finished it.

I definitely recommend this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and for stopping by my blog!

 

Copyright ©2012 Book Boudoir | All Rights Reserved | Website Designed by CreativeB Design Studios

Powered by Blogger